Sunday, January 18, 2009

Long Night at the Hospital

Yesterday was a very long day. I had a wedding yesterday so, my day started about 7:30 in the morning doing all my wedding day prep work, loading up the truck and just getting ready. Add to the fact that it was just plain cold outside, I knew it was going to be interesting day. Little did I know just how interesting it was going to be or how long.

The wedding went well, very pretty bride and the groom was a blast. The groom is a Baptist Minster so there was no music at the reception or any dancing. At most receptions I can grab a quick bite to eat but this reception not the case. I do not like sea food and that is what they had at the reception, so no food for me.

During the day I always stay in touch with Lee to see how things are going. I texted her about 4:30pm and was told that things were not good. The reception was over at 5:30 and when I called home I found out that Katie was very, VERY sick. She had gotten sick at STAR (horse therapy), 2 more times on the way home and once more when they got home. When I arrived our good friend Lisa had gotten some medicine to help stop the nausea and Katie was asleep. We kept an eye on her into the night. About 7:45 she got sick again and we tried to get her medicine down. If she is not able to keep her medicine down she can go into what is called Adrenal Shock. This happened to her on 9/11/01. I was out of town that day and could not get home to help Leeann that day. Katie was put in the hospital that night and monitored. She recovered well then and knew from that day on we had to keep a close eye on her when she got sick.

Well, after she got sick at 7:45 we tried to keep her medicine down again. We keep an eye on her and sure enough a little after 9 she got sick again and we knew we had to get her to the hospital. Leeann called for an ambulance because she had a funny feeling about everything. They got to the house very quickly and the paramedic took a quick look at Katie and picked her up and said we needed to go. I said let me get her jacket, he said "we don't have time for jackets, we need to go NOW!". He scooped her up and off we went to the ambulance. Katie was a little scared, but was not very responsive to what was going on.

We got in the ambulance and the paramedic told the drive "GO, GO, Code 3 to Children's". I am in the back with Katie and Leeann is following us in the car. They stared an IV for Katie, and kept her oxygen. When we pulled up to Children's Hospital they rushed her into the room and I lost count as to how many doctors and nurses were in the room. It was like a scene out of ER, instructions being yelled out, orders being given and everyone working as one team. All my our little girl.

They got her stabilized quickly and she stared to show signs of improving. They got her up to a room about 1am and that is where she was until a couple of hours ago. We are home now and Katie is doing much better.

I can't say enough how much we appreciate the fact that we have a hospital for kids so very close with team of professionals that know just how precious each child is, but also know how scared parents can be when something like this happens to our kids. The nurses in the ER and on the floor where Katie stayed not only took great care of Kate but, also took good care of me and Leeann. When ever I or Leeann needed anything, they were there for us. They were able to get me a bit to eat late last night. They were great to say the least.

Katie is doing well today and being just any other 9 year old.

No comments: