Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Dodge Ball and Pneumonia

Let's get this out of the way right off, I have pneumonia. I never get sick, Katie and Leeann can both be in the bed, sick as anything and I will be just fine. I never get it. I am always the one who is taking care of them. Now, here I am with pneumonia and on top of that, I have to take some very YUCKY!!! medicine. But, how does that fit in with Dodge Ball you ask?

On the way home from the vampire doctor (I call her that because every-time I'm there it seems like she wants some of my blood, go figure) we went out to the farm to drop some feed off for Belle. Along the way we have to go by a elementary school and there were some kids out in front of the school in a big playground area playing kick ball. If you grew up in the late 70's/early 80's like me then you more than likely paid more that few games of kick ball. Now, for those of you out there who grew up in the "PC World" where everyone is a winner and we don't play any kind of competitive game, kick ball is just like baseball, but with a large rubber ball (normally red). You kick the ball instead of hitting it with a bat. However, unlike baseball, you can get tagged out if you are HIT with the ball between bases. Such as if you are running between 1st and 2nd base and you get HIT with the ball, you are out. Pretty simple, yes. Well, it got me to thinking back when I was a kid and really enjoyed playing kick ball and Dodge Ball. DODGE BALL! They don't let kids play Dodge Ball anymore, do they?

Why, just because the whole purpose of the game is to avoid being hit with a large rubber ball? Nope, it's because somebody might get HIT by a large rubber ball. It's because somebody would win and someone would, GASP OH THE HORROR, loose. Well if you ask me, I most of you won't, Dodge ball teaches you many of life's most important lessons. Like what you ask? Well, here are a few:

SOMETIMES LIFE HURTS.

YOU HAVE TO STAY ON YOUR TOES AT ALL TIMES.

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO RISK A LOT TO GET WHAT YOU WANT.

JUST WHEN YOU THINK THINGS ARE GOING GOOD FOR YOU, WHAM, LIFE HITS YOU.

YOU CAN'T REST WHEN THOSE AROUND YOU ARE RUNNING.

ALWAYS LOOK ABOUT YOU, YOU NEVER KNOW WHATS COMING NEXT.

But, most of all:

SOMETIMES LIFE HURTS.

Rules to live by if you ask me.

No comments: